Friday, May 22, 2009

Apartment 348 - Pushing the Envelope

It's amazing what you're capable of
with your back against a wall. 

I sold smack on a 
playground today; 

      just biding time to scrounge the rent-

Two months ago I had never even seen the stuff. 
     I'd never procured it for personal use, 
     let alone sold it.

Now I'm a full-time profferer of prescriptions 
 for problems that can't be cured...
A modern day snake-oil peddler
 with a panacea for every conceivable ill. 

Trying to cope with depression? 
     This'll give you a shot in the arm!
Your boyfriend just broke your heart
mere weeks after breaking your hyman? 
     Here's a prick that you can depend on...

I thought I was better than this,

but who can afford to have scruples
when there are bills to be paid? 

Internally
I guess I'm still struggling to compete
with people who would never deign to take note of me...
My revenge is in undermining their immaculate lives, 
some drug-peddling Socrates
trying to keep the creditors at bay...

I'd always envisioned being someone's hero;  
at least being remembered for an act of creation. 

Instead I'm an enzyme for eradication... 
A cancer cell at best- 
     A fucking wrecking ball.

Somehow...

I'm not sure how it happened...

One day I woke up a sidekick 
to a heroine that's never saved anyone...

No comments: